Skip to main content

College, Malls and Dreams

 

I lived in Dwarka, New Delhi for 3 years, from 2013 to 2016, for my college education. I rented a bed in a paying guest accommodation in Dwarka Sector 13 and would travel to Dwarka Sector 9 six days a week. This was my first time living away from home and it took me a while to get used to the independent lifestyle. Things became better when I made a few good friends in college and formed a good social circle. After the college classes, some of us would want to hang out and to find a decent place, we would visit all the malls around looking for a dining establishment where we could sit and relax for hours on end. My friends and I must have visited over 4 malls in a week but found none of them to be operational. We did spot a few food joints but the rush of customers would force us to leave the establishments after our meals. We wished and hoped that someone would build a fully-operational Mall in Dwarka for us but it just did not happen in the three years of our college lives.

My friends and I were forced to travel all the way to Tagore Garden to visit the grand Pacific Mall but it was not something we could opt for on a daily basis. Once, we got talking to a mall employee and jokingly asked them to launch a Pacific Mall in Dwarka. I am recalling this today because I was unexpectedly in Dwarka yesterday and got to know that Pacific Group has launched a Pacific Mall in the sub-city! The mall has a proper food court and an extremely affordable restaurant... I mean this is great but why did the mall not pop up when we were whining and begging for such an establishment?! Will no one ever know how much we begged for an extremely affordable Restaurant in Dwarka?

I guess I will need to be happy for the college kids who can take advantage of this mall and its offerings. Now, they have a perfect place to visit after their college classes and for occasional celebrations. I would actually be delighted to see college kids loitering around in the food court - working on assignments, eating food, having conversations and sharing laughs. This was what I dreamt of doing but if others can live my old dream now, it would make me as happy as it would have made me years ago.

For more details visit us at : Shopping Center in Delhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Attractive Destination

Dehradun used to be an institutional area in the late 90’s but by the early 2000s, the city started developing its residential, commercial and recreational sectors to appeal to migrating families, school and college-going youth and salaried employees. Real estate agents and private builders stepped in to take over the residential sector, corporations stepped in to develop the commercial sector and entrepreneurs stepped in to establish recreational zones in and near the commercial and residential sectors. The entrepreneurs invested in restaurants, movie theatres, cafes, bars and game zones to take advantage of the rapidly increasing young crowd in the city. As more and more institutional groups set up colleges in the city, restaurants and movie theatres started observing a rush of crowds. There were already many restaurants in Dehradun in the late 90’s but the establishments catered to the well-off families who would dine at the restaurant every once in a while. But in the early 20

The New Mall and My Cousins

   Ever since the new mall -  Pacific Mall  - has opened in NSP Pitampura, the life of the residents of the area has become more convenient. Before, shoppers would need to travel to interior markets or to other shopping malls afar to take care of their shopping needs and wants but now, they have a shopping centre right next to them. Now, the shoppers have access to the best of apparel, footwear, accessories, lifestyle and electronics brand outlets, all under one roof, just beside them! There is no doubt about the fact that Pacific Mall will soon be labelled as the  best shopping mall in NSP  by the shoppers and other mall visitors. My extended family resides in NSP Pitampura and has not stopped mentioning the mall on our weekly calls. My cousin is a fashion icon in her college and would have to travel to a mall in West Delhi for her seasonal shopping sprees but now, she just drives down to the mall, which takes her hardly 10 minutes, and is back home with a car full of shopping bags fr